Thursday, July 21, 2011

The yellow budgie in the train station

This morning around 8, I got stuck in the train station because my train to work was delayed.
It must have been fate, because as soon as I entered the station building, I heard a familiar chirping noise. I followed the noise and saw a tiny, square cage in the clerk's office. There was a little yellow budgie inside, walking restlessly from left to right.

Of course, my first thought was Oh no, she's keeping this poor budgie as a prisoner and I have to save this budgie and take it home with me so I went down there and asked the lady if the bird was for sale. It must have been the first time that someone came down there to ask for a budgie instead of a train ticket!

The nice lady shook her head and told me that it was actually her pet and that she was quite attached to it. She also told me that the bird was very tame and that she often let it out of the cage. At that point, I was starting to feel relieved. The thought of any budgie inside that tiny cage all day long was really depressing.

Inside this station building lives a budgie! Photo © Wikipedia
Now here comes the funny part: she actually took the budgie out of the cage for me! I immediately noticed the friendship between the budgie and his owner. The budgie hopped on to the microphone and started saying hello to all the people in the building, which was funny because the chirping was amplified through the speaker system.

The lady told me, half smiling and half annoyed, that the budgie always wanted her attention, especially when it was really busy. The little yellow bird apparently likes to come and sit on the keyboard to "prevent her from working too hard". I went to work with a smile on my face, knowing that this budgie is in good hands after all :)

Too bad I didn't have my camera, but the budgie looked a lot like this one. Photo © Parkietenfreak.nl

2 comments: