Friday, February 4, 2011

What music do budgies like?

Budgies like music. They like it loud (but not too loud), to give them the feeling it's all around them. This has to do with the "flock spirit" inside the budgies: they don't want to be alone. Sometimes they seem to be more interested in all the background noises in your house, like the noise of the vacuum cleaner (a lot of budgies start singing when they hear it) or the toilet flush (also very exciting), as they enjoy human company and all the new and funny sounds that comes with it.


Image (c) Blue Mountains Journal

Most budgies love comforting music. Don't forget that they are prisoners in a strange environment. From my experience, I would say that they are especially interested in classical music, as long as there's a nice melody in it.

They also seem to love it when you're making music for them. They all start twittering excitedly whenever my brother's playing the piano or when my dad's playing the guitar. They also used to scream at my mistakes on the piano. That could mean that they are able to distinguish the false notes like real music teachers. Isn't that amazing?


"Can you feeeeel the love tonight?"

Even better for your budgies are the CD's with nature sounds and meditation/relaxation music. They love this kind of music, because it's so beautiful and peaceful. You could put this on at any moment of the day. I would also suggest Celtic folk music, partly because it's closely linked to Nature. Some of these tunes can be really beautiful and playful at the same time and I'm sure your budgie will like that too.

If you just bought a couple of budgies, you could put on the Happy Budgies CD to make them feel at home. It appears to be really good and comforting for them. Click here for more information about this cd.

38 comments:

  1. This is adorable! And I'll keep it in mind for when we have budgies of our own ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article! I noticed my bird like N Sync. Isn't that cool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My budgie likes songs in Portuguese and Spanish.

      Delete
    2. Mariah Carey....especially her Christmas songs. My budgie loves it chirps the whole time

      Delete
    3. I've got a new green budgie and I am just learning to play piano. He will sit and most obviously LISTEN to me play. Bless him. He has even sat and listened to me sing the notes and I am no singer.
      I've only had him since 27th Feb so I am hoping he will speak and perhaps whistle a couple of classical tunes.

      Delete
  3. My two, cheep and cheerful, really enjoy the soundtrack from "meet joe black ".

    ReplyDelete
  4. my budgie like spanish guitar its so cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. over the yrs i put Bon Jovi on for my feathery kids and they go mental (in a good funny way) 0 they start chirping and headbopping and give me a headache in the process but i love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bird likes rock music also I was listening to a rock station app on phone and it started chirping a little bit and I just got my bird

      Delete
    2. I have a 7 years old man bird can I teach him how to talk

      Delete
  6. My budgies LOVE Celine Dion! I just found out yesterday, their fave is " A New Day", I just love how intelligent they are! If they don't like the song, they will stay quiet

    ReplyDelete
  7. My budgie loves the Spotify Trad Folk - Jigs & Reels playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should let him listen to the endless river by pink Floyd, he would love it, mine really likes it

    ReplyDelete
  9. My budgie loves to lessen to pop and grime music. When stormzy comes on she goes crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My budgie enjoys rock music and linkin park alot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too it loves rock music especially Tool

      Delete
  11. they like electro music after my experince

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine loved blackbird by the Beatles, he would go nuts when he heard the birds singing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My budgies likes mettalica

    ReplyDelete
  14. I played Ode To Joy (bethoven’s Ninth Symphony) and my budgies fell asleep

    ReplyDelete
  15. starset is the only thing that calms him down

    ReplyDelete
  16. My budgie Minty absolutely loves the Simpsons tune his head fluffs right up to twice the size and he head bangs really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My budgies love all music,but especially synth music. They mimic the sounds in the music and it's really comical!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My 3 Budgie "Boys" are partial to the type of music played on Sydney's 95.3 FM radio station. They also regularly have their arvo siesta time to relaxing natural sounds & peaceful music. Easy to dial up from You Tube ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just got my 2 boys 3 days ago. I haven't tried playing classical or celtic CDs to them yet. I've been trying to mimic their songs on my bamboo flute and ceramic ocarina.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our budgie holly likes listening and watching Andre reu

    ReplyDelete
  21. My budgies love bob Marley especially the song three little birds

    ReplyDelete
  22. My budgies love WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE. They all get really excited.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My budgies love Never Gonna Give you Up and pop music, no reaction to classical or serene music lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. such an interesting artical about our little featherd friends and there tate in music!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have just discovered my budgies like the Eastenders intro music. They chirp like crazy during it.

    ReplyDelete